Do you have patio furniture covers that are looking a little worse for wear? Don’t worry – we’ve got the perfect solution to get them back in ship shape! Cleaning outdoor furniture covers can be an easy task, as long as you know how.
In this blog post, we’ll show you exactly how to wash patio furniture covers in washing machine safely and effectively. So if you’re tired of seeing your outdoor furnishings covered by dingy fabric, keep reading! We’ll guide you through the process step-by-step so that no matter what material your furniture is made from or how old it is, it won’t take any time at all until they look good as new again.
Tools and Materials You Will Need to Wash Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machine
1. Mild detergent
2. Liquid fabric softener (optional)
4. Washing machine
Step by Step Guidelines on How to Wash Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machine
Step 1: Check the Care Label
The first step in washing patio furniture covers is to check the care instructions. Different materials require different methods of cleaning, so it’s important to know what you’re dealing with before proceeding any further. Checking the car label will tell you if the fabric is machine washable or if it needs to be hand washed.
Step 2: Prepare the Covers for Washing
Once you know that your patio furniture cover is indeed machine washable, you can begin prepping them for washing. Before loading them into the washer, make sure that any loose dirt or debris is removed. Vacuuming or brushing them off can help to get rid of any surface dirt and dust.
Step 3: Load Covers into the Washing Machine
Now it’s time to load your patio furniture covers into the washing machine. Be sure to follow the instructions on your detergent’s package for how much detergent to use. Also, if you’re using a liquid fabric softener, add it now as well. While loading the covers, take care to ensure that they are evenly distributed in the washing machine.
Step 4: Start Washing Cycle
Once everything is loaded into the washer, you can start the cycle. Select a cold or warm water cycle and a gentle spin setting to avoid damaging your patio furniture covers. Be sure to check the wash cycle options for your washer to make sure that it’s the best setting for your particular fabric.
Step 5: Dry Covers
Once the wash cycle is complete, you can remove your patio furniture covers from the washer and transfer them directly into a dryer. Make sure to select a low heat setting, as higher temperatures can cause the fabric to shrink or become damaged. Depending on the material, it may take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour for your covers to dry completely.
Step 6: Iron and Hang Covers
Once your patio furniture covers are dry, you can finish off the cleaning process by ironing them if necessary. Check the care label on your furniture covers to see if ironing is recommended. If so, make sure to use a low-temperature setting and avoid over-ironing or pressing too hard. After ironing, hang up the covers to air dry for a few hours before putting them back on your patio furniture.
This is how to wash patio furniture covers in a washing machine safely and effectively. With a few simple steps, you can save yourself time and effort in cleaning your outdoor furniture covers. Just be sure to always check the care label before starting any cleaning process to ensure that you’re using the right techniques for the material. That way, your furniture will last longer and look great!
Additional Tips and Tricks to Wash Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machine
- Before washing the covers, make sure to check the fabric label for specific cleaning instructions. If there is no care label present, avoid machine washing and opt for handwashing instead.
- Use a mild laundry detergent or a special cleaner specifically designed for outdoor furniture coverings when possible. Avoid using chlorine bleach as this may damage the fabric.
- Always use a gentle cycle when washing patio furniture covers, as too much agitation can damage the fabric or weaken its waterproofing properties.
- To prevent fading, wash your covers in cold water and avoid direct sunlight whenever possible. If needed, you may consider using a low-heat setting on the dryer.
- After washing and drying the covers, make sure to re-apply any waterproofing agents that may have been previously applied to the fabric. This will help keep your furniture covers in good condition for a longer period of time.
- When storing your patio furniture covers, it is best to hang them on a clothesline or in a dry, well-ventilated area. Avoid storing them away in a damp or wet environment, as this can cause mildew growth and other damage to the fabric.
- If your patio furniture covers have become stained, it may be possible to treat them with spot-cleaning agents designed for outdoor fabrics. However, if the stain is deep-set, it may be best to take the covers to a professional cleaning service.
Following these tips and tricks will help you keep your patio furniture covers in good condition for years to come. With proper care and maintenance, you can enjoy outdoor gatherings with your family without worrying about the elements damaging your covers!
Things You Should Consider to Wash Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machine
- Check the label of your furniture cover to see if it is machine washable. Not all covers are safe for a washing machine, so double-check before washing them.
- Make sure that you pick the right type of detergent for your patio furniture covers. Avoid using bleach, which can cause fading and damage to the fabric.
- Set your washing machine to a gentle cycle, using cold water only, and adjust the settings according to the label of the cover you are cleaning.
- Add a delicate detergent or special cleaner made for outdoor furniture covers if necessary.
- When the cycle is finished, take out the patio furniture covers and hang them up to dry in the sun. Never put them in the dryer machine, as it may damage the fabric of your covers.
- Once they’re completely dried, you can use a brush or use vacuum cleaner to remove surface dirt, dust, and debris.
- If necessary, you can spot-clean any areas on your patio furniture covers with a gentle cleaner or rag.
Finally, put the patio furniture covers back on your furniture and enjoy!
Following these considerations and tips will help you maintain the quality of your patio furniture covers and keep them looking great for years to come! Enjoy your freshly-cleaned and sanitized patio furniture covers.
Precautions Need to Follow for Washing Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machine
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and cautionary labels on the cover before washing it in a washing machine.
- Use cool or warm water rather than hot while cleaning the covers, as this will reduce the chances of shrinkage and fading.
- Before putting your patio furniture covers into the washer, make sure that they are free from dirt, dust, and debris. Use a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush to clean them gently before washing.
- Add only low-sudsing detergent or one specifically designed for use on patio furniture covers. Do not add bleach as it can be damaging to some fabrics.
- Set your machine to the gentle cycle and wash your covers in a small load, as more than one may cause too much stress on the machine.
- Hang your covers to dry or put them in the dryer on low heat settings. Do not use high temperatures for drying these items as this could shrink or damage the fabric.
- Air dry your covers, if possible, or use a low heat setting in the dryer for better results.
By following these precautions, you can safely and effectively clean your patio furniture covers in the washing machine. Make sure to regularly follow these steps to keep your covers looking like new for many seasons to come.
Common Mistakes on Washing Patio Furniture Covers in Washing Machines
1. Not Checking the Care Label:
Before washing patio furniture covers in a washing machine, it is important to check the care label attached to the cover for specific instructions about laundering and temperature settings. Ignoring these guidelines can lead to irreversible damage such as shrinking, fading, or tearing of the fabric. This could also void any warranty of the cover.
2. Overloading the Washer:
When washing patio furniture covers, be sure not to overload the washer as doing so can cause uneven washing and drying. Furniture covers may become tangled or knotted in with other items that are being washed at the same time, making the fabric prone to damage.
3. Using Too Much Detergent:
Too much detergent can cause excess buildup in the fabric and lead to discoloration of the material as well as reduced repellency. Always use the appropriate amount of detergent according to what is given on the care label, and never more than that.
4. Setting the Wrong Temperature:
It is important to select the correct temperature setting while washing patio furniture covers in a washing machine. Selecting too high of a temperature can cause irreversible damage to the fabric. Check the care label and make sure not to exceed the recommended temperature settings for laundering.
5. Not Separating Colors:
When washing patio furniture covers, make sure to separate the light-colored fabrics from the darker ones as doing otherwise can lead to fading and staining of the fabric. Additionally, be sure to use a color-safe detergent when washing delicate items such as colorful patio furniture covers.
6. Not Drying Properly:
It is important to properly dry patio furniture covers once they are washed. Avoid over-drying or using too high of heat in the dryer as this can cause shrinkage and hardening of the fabric. The care label should indicate whether air-drying or tumble-drying is recommended for the particular cover. If air drying, make sure the cover is not exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
By avoiding these common mistakes in washing patio furniture covers in a washing machine, you can help to ensure that your covers stay looking new and last for years to come. With proper care, you can enjoy your outdoor space with stylish, comfortable patio furniture covers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Wash Patio Furniture Covers in a Washing Machine?
Yes, you can! It is important to read the care instructions on the label to make sure that your specific cover is safe for machine washing. If it is safe, use cold water and a gentle detergent setting. Avoid using fabric softeners and bleach.
What if My Patio Furniture Cover Does Not Have an Instruction Label?
If there is no label with care instructions, it is best to err on the side of caution and hand wash the cover using cold water. If you decide to machine wash it, use a gentle cycle and avoid using fabric softeners or bleach.
What is the Best Way to Dry My Patio Furniture Cover?
It is best to air-dry covers. If you need to speed up the drying process, use a cool or low-tumble dry setting. Avoid high heat because this can cause fading and shrinkage. If your cover has any metal parts, it may be best not to dry it in the dryer at all.
With the following steps and tips and tricks you can easily understand how to wash patio furniture covers in washing machine. Always the care label before washing and follow the specific instructions for best results. If you take good care of your patio furniture covers, they will last longer and look better.
Make sure to air-dry them when possible and avoid using fabric softeners or bleach. With these tips, you’ll be able to keep your covers looking like new for years to come.