Are you looking for an easy way to add storage space to your kitchen or pantry? Stacking wall cabinets is an ideal solution for small and large kitchens alike, offering a simple yet stylish way of creating extra shelves in your home. Not only will stacking wall cabinets help organize all the food items that might otherwise get lost on the countertops and become clutter, but they also provide a great opportunity to add a personal touch to your décor.
Whether it’s matching the color of your other kitchen accessories or finding fun handles or knobs to draw attention to them, there are so many creative ways you can use stacked wall cabinets to liven up any living space.
In this post, we’ll walk through how to stack these cabinet units together like a pro! Read on to learn more about how to stack wall cabinets to make pantry.
What Will You Need?
To stack wall cabinets, you’ll need the following:
- at least two wall cabinets of the same size and shape;
- appropriate mounting hardware (screws that can support the weight of the cabinet);
- drywall anchors or toggle bolts (depending on how you plan to mount them);a drill or screwdriver;
- a level and a plumb bob (to ensure the cabinets are level);
- shims, if needed; and
- screw caps (for aesthetic purposes).
Once you have all the necessary items, it’s time to begin stacking your wall cabinets!
10 Easy Steps on How to Stack Wall Cabinets to Make Pantry
1. Decide the Height:
First, measure how much space you have and determine how high you would like your stacked cabinets to go. You can go as high or low as you need, but be sure to measure the ceiling height in order to plan accordingly. Consider how much space you would like between each shelf if you have room.
2. Mark the Wall:
Once you know how high and how many cabinets you want, use a level or use plumb bob to mark the wall where each cabinet will be hung. Be careful here; this is how your cabinets will remain level when hung. Otherwise, your cabinets may not be even or level.
3. Install Anchors or Toggle Bolts:
Next, install your mounting hardware, such as drywall anchors or toggle bolts in the spots you marked on the wall. Ensure they are secure and can support the cabinet’s weight when stacked against one another. Try to space the mounting hardware evenly across the width of each cabinet.
4. Put Cabinets Together:
Now it’s time to start stacking your wall cabinets! Attach them together using screws that came with the units (if applicable) or with other appropriate hardware. If you find gaps between each shelf, use shims to even out any inconsistencies before securing the cabinets together with screws. Use your level to make sure each cabinet is even.
5. Hang Cabinets on the Wall:
Once the cabinets are assembled and secured, it’s time to hang them up! Attach the mounting hardware to each cabinet, making sure that all screws are tightened securely. Ensure that the mounting hardware is attached to the studs in your wall for maximum stability.
6. Level Cabinets:
Using your level or plumb bob, make sure that each shelf is perfectly level before securing them in place. This will prevent any issues with stability later on once the cabinets are full of items. Additionally, it will ensure that your cabinets look even and aren’t lopsided when viewed from the front.
7. Secure Cabinets:
Now it’s time to secure your wall cabinets in place! Using the appropriate screws and anchors, attach each cabinet firmly against the wall so they won’t slip or move while filled with items. If your cabinets come with screws or other mounting hardware, be sure to use those instead.
8. Add Finishing Touches:
Once the cabinets are secured in place, consider how you would like to decorate them. You can add decorative handles and knobs to spruce up the look of your stacked wall cabinets or simply leave them as is for a minimalistic vibe. Don’t forget about screw caps to cover the mounting hardware for a more polished look.
9. Fill Cabinets with Items:
Now it’s time to fill up your newly-stacked wall cabinets! Add all your food items, dishes, and other pantry essentials to each shelf and start organizing everything neatly. This will help make items easier to find and create a more efficient pantry.
10. Enjoy Your New Pantry Space:
Congratulations – you’ve just completed your stacked wall cabinet project! Now that everything is securely in place enjoy the extra storage space you have created in your kitchen or pantry area. Remember, you can always add more cabinets or rearrange the shelves as needed.
By following these easy steps, you can quickly and easily stack wall cabinets to create a functional pantry space in your kitchen. With the right supplies and a bit of patience, you can easily transform ordinary wall cabinets into stylish and organized pantries. So why wait? Get started on your DIY project today!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
- When stacking wall cabinets to make a pantry, carefully measure the space between the floor and ceiling. If necessary, use a leveler or a measuring tape to ensure an even fit.
- To make sure the cabinets are secure and remain in place, use strong adhesive glue or nails to attach them together. This will also provide additional stability for the cabinet walls and reduce any wobbling when opening and closing doors.
- Utilize adjustable shelves inside each cabinet to maximize storage space. This will allow you to easily access items that are deep within the pantry without having to remove items above them first.
- Place the heaviest items on the bottom of your stack for added stability. As an added bonus, this will help minimize how much lifting is required when retrieving stored items from deeper sections of the pantry system as time goes on.
- Finally, create a ‘crown’ at the top of your pantry stack by adding some decorative molding or trim around its edges. This will provide the finishing touch to your pantry and make it look professionally designed and polished.
- By following these tips and tricks, you can easily turn wall cabinets into a functional and aesthetically-pleasing custom pantry for your home.
With proper planning, preparation, and attention to detail, you can transform any tight kitchen space into an organized food storage area that suits all your needs.
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Do not install wall cabinets too close together. This can make them difficult to open and can cause damage to the cabinet or to the walls if they are forced apart.
- Avoid using a drill to attach the cabinets together, as this can weaken the wall’s structure. Instead of drilling, use screws that have been specifically designed for mounting cabinetry.
- Don’t place heavy items in your pantry if it is made up of stacked wall cabinets; rather, keep these items on lower shelves or in containers on the floor space. Heavy objects may put extra weight on the individual cabinets making them more susceptible to buckling and failure over time.
- Avoid storing food directly in the wall cabinet, as this can encourage mold and bacteria growth. Instead, use airtight containers to store food items in your pantry.
- Do not place glass containers or other fragile items directly on top of the cabinets; instead, line these with a thick towel or matting to help protect them from falling and breaking if jostled. Finally, be sure to check all bolts and screws periodically throughout your pantry to ensure everything is securely fastened and that there is no shifting between each cabinet shelf.
- With proper installation and care, you will have a beautiful, functional pantry for years to come.
As you can see, stacking wall cabinets is an easy, efficient way to create extra pantry space in your kitchen. The fact that you don’t have to attach the cabinets to the wall permanently saves time and money while still allowing you to get the storage space you need. With a few simple steps, you can transform any corner of your kitchen into a full-functioning pantry in no time. Plus, if you decide later on that you don’t need the extra pantry space, simply uninstall the cabinets and store them away for another project.
Stacking wall cabinets is not only an effective and affordable way of adding more storage space to your home, but it also offers an aesthetic sweetness that any bored corner or empty wall could use. So don’t wait anymore! Get yourself some wall cabinets, stack them up, and enjoy the extra storage. It’s as easy as that!
Hopefully, the article on how to stack wall cabinets to make pantry has been helpful and provided you with the information and tips you need to get started. Happy pantry stacking!