Pets bring joy and love into our lives, but sometimes their “not-so-fragrant” odors can linger in our homes. It’s quite possible that your beloved furniture has begun to absorb the stench of your pet.
Trying to remove pet smells from couch fabrics can be a tricky process anything you have tried before may not have worked as well as you had hoped. In this blog post, we’ll explore some clever ways how to remove pet smell from couch fabrics.
9 Best Ways on How to Remove Pet Smell From Couch
1. Scoop Up Any Debris:
The first step in removing pet odor from a couch is to clean away the source of the smell -– that means clearing away any crumbs, hair, or other debris left behind by your furry friend. Vacuum and/or brush off any dirt or fur that’s accumulated on your couch. Scooping up any debris with a hand vacuum is an effective and quick way to eliminate the source of the smell.
2. Use Baking Soda:
Baking soda is one of the most popular solutions for removing pet odor from couches. Sprinkle baking soda liberally over your couch, let it sit for 10-20 minutes, and then vacuum it away. If the smell is particularly stubborn, you can mix baking soda with a cup of water to make a paste and rub it into the fabric.
3. Wash Couch Cushion Covers:
If your couch has removable cushion covers, washing them is an effective way to remove pet odors from your furniture. Make sure to read the care instructions before washing, as many fabrics may require a special cleaning solution or cycle. Couch cushion covers are particularly prone to collecting pet hair and dirt, so taking the time to wash them regularly can help keep your furniture smelling fresh.
4. Try Vinegar:
Vinegar is another popular solution for removing pet odors from couches, carpets, and upholstery. Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and lightly mist the area.
Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then blot (not rub) the area with a damp cloth or paper towel. Vinegar is also great for removing stubborn stains from couch fabrics.
5. Use Hydrogen Peroxide:
Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful solution for getting rid of pet odors and stains from couches. Mix 3% hydrogen peroxide with equal parts water in a spray bottle and lightly mist the affected area -– just be sure to test it on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won’t damage the fabric. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then blot it away with a damp cloth or paper towel.
6. Shake Out Any Loose Fur:
Pet fur is one of the most common culprits when it comes to pet odors lingering on couches. Make sure to take the time to shake out any loose fur from your couch cushions and pillows in order to prevent odors from setting in. This method is especially effective if you have a pet that sheds frequently.
7. Use an Odor Neutralizing Spray:
Odor-neutralizing sprays are specially formulated to help remove odors from furniture, carpets, and fabrics without damaging the material. They usually contain a combination of natural enzymes and bacteria that break down odor-causing molecules, leaving your space smelling fresh and clean.
8. Use Enzyme-Based Cleaner:
Enzyme-based cleaners are another effective solution for removing pet odors from couches. The enzymes in the cleaner break down the odors at the source, rather than just masking them with a pleasant scent. Make sure to follow the instructions on the product label to ensure that you use it correctly.
9. Invest in a Quality Air Purifier:
Air purifiers are an excellent way to remove pet odors from your living space. They work by drawing air through a filter, trapping pet dander, dust, and other allergens –– as well as odor-causing molecules –– before radiating the clean air back into your space. Investing in a quality air purifier can help keep pet odors from returning and maintain a fresh, pleasant atmosphere in your home.
Now that you know how to remove the pet smell from the couch, you can keep your furniture smelling fresh and inviting for years to come. With the right cleaning tools and solutions, you can enjoy your pet-friendly home without being overwhelmed by unpleasant odors.
Additional Tips and Tricks to Remove Pet Smell From Couch
- Using a baking soda paste to remove pet odor is one of the easiest and most effective solutions. Mix some baking soda with water until it forms a paste, spread the mixture evenly over affected areas of the couch, let dry for several hours, then vacuums up any excess powder.
- Putting your couch in direct sunlight can help to reduce pet odors. Sunlight can help to break down the molecules that cause odors and freshen your couch.
- Activated charcoal is a great natural deodorizer that works well on pet smells. Place some activated charcoal in muslin bags or small containers, put them on the affected areas of the couch, and allow it to sit for several hours before vacuuming up the excess.
- Make a vinegar solution by mixing white vinegar and water in equal parts. Spray this mixture lightly on the affected areas of the couch, let it sit for a few minutes, then blot dry with a clean cloth. The vinegar helps to neutralize odors and freshen up the couch.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on affected areas of the couch to absorb pet odors, let sit for at least an hour, and then vacuum up any excess powder.
- Place a few drops of essential oils like lemon, lavender, or eucalyptus onto a cotton ball and place it on the affected areas of the couch. The essential oils’ natural deodorizing properties will help to remove pet odors from your couch.
- Sprinkle some cornstarch onto affected areas of the couch, let sit for at least a half hour, then vacuum up any excess powder. Cornstarch is great for absorbing odors and can help to reduce the pet smell from your couch.
- Use a commercial enzyme cleaner specifically designed to remove pet odors. Spray the cleaner onto the affected areas of the couch, let sit for at least 10 minutes, then blot dry with a clean cloth. Repeat if necessary until the odor is removed.
Following these tips and tricks will help to remove the pet smell from your couch. Remember to use all of the solutions in moderation, as too much of a particular solution or cleaner can damage fabric upholstery.
Regularly vacuuming your couch will also help to reduce odors and keep it smelling fresh. With a little time and effort, you can have your couch smelling like new again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Baking Soda Remove the Pet Smell From a Couch?
Yes, baking soda is an effective natural deodorizer and can help to remove pet odor from your couch. Simply sprinkle baking soda liberally on the furniture and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming off. You may also want to add a few drops of essential oil, such as lavender, with the baking soda to help freshen up the air even more.
Does Vinegar Help Get Rid of Pet Smell on Furniture?
Yes, vinegar is a natural odor neutralizer and can help to get rid of pet smell from furniture. Mix 1 part white vinegar to 8 parts water in a spray bottle and use it to spot-treat the area with pet odor. Allow the solution to sit for 10-15 minutes before wiping it away with a damp cloth.
How Do You Remove Pet Urine Smell From Couch?
If your pet has urinated on your couch, you’ll want to take extra steps to make sure the smell is completely removed. First, use a paper towel or cloth to blot up as much of the excess urine as possible.
Then mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and lightly mist the area. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before wiping it away with a damp cloth. Finally, sprinkle baking soda liberally on the spot, let it sit for a few hours, and then vacuum.
Can You Steam Clean Furniture to Remove Pet Odor?
Yes, steam cleaning is an effective way to get rid of pet odor from furniture. Make sure to use a product specifically designed for upholstery or fabrics in order to prevent any damage.
Use the steam cleaning wand to reach deep into the fabric and remove any lingering pet odors. Finally, once the furniture is dry, sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming off.
Knowing how to remove pet smell from couch is key to keeping your furniture and home smelling fresh. Baking soda, vinegar, and steam cleaning are all effective methods for getting rid of pet odor from furniture.
Be sure to blot up any excess liquid first before using each of these techniques so you can be sure the smell is completely gone. With a little bit of effort, your home will once again be smelling fresh and clean.