Are you looking for a quick and easy way to add an elegant touch of storage to your home? Your search is over – with a few materials, some basic tools, and this guide, you can assemble a beautiful arched cabinet in no time.
An arched cabinet can be used as extra storage, or even lend architectural detail when hung above doors or windows. Whether you’re trying to maximize space in your home or add the perfect finishing touches on redecorating projects, making an arch-top cabinet could be the right choice!
With just a few necessary supplies and some basic carpentry knowledge, you can make an eye-catching arched cabinet that will be the perfect addition to your house!
We’ll walk through each step of how to make an arched cabinet so that anyone can make one easily. So get ready – let’s start building!
What Are Arched Cabinets?
An arched cabinet is a type of cupboard with an outwardly curved or vaulted top. Usually placed above doors, windows, or other architectural features, they are often used in modern homes to provide extra storage and can be custom-made in any size that suits your needs.
Additionally, arched cabinets are also a great way to add an ornamental element to any interior design. They can be made from various materials such as wood, metal, and glass and act as a focal point in any room.
Now that you know a bit more about how arched cabinets work, let’s get into how to make one!
What Will You Need?
To make an arched cabinet, you’ll need a few basic tools and materials:
- MDF (medium density fibreboard) sheets for the sides, top, and bottom
- Plywood or plywood composite boards for the back panel
- Wood screws
- Use a Circular saw or jigsaw to cut out the arch
- Tape measure
- Wood glue
- Paint or wood stain for the finish
Once you’ve gathered all your supplies, it’s time to start constructing the cabinet!
10 Easy Steps on How to Make an Arched Cabinet
Step 1: Measure and Cut the MDF.
Measure and cut the MDF sheets for the cabinet’s sides and top/bottom. The side pieces should be cut to the desired width, and the top and bottom should measure slightly wider than the side pieces. Use a circular saw or jigsaw to cut out the arch in the top and bottom pieces.
Step 2: Cut Out the Arch.
Using a circular saw or jigsaw, carefully cut out the arch for the cabinet. Ensure the arch is cut accurately and evenly, as this will be how your cabinet looks when it is finished. You can use a template or stencil to ensure the arch is cut correctly.
Step 3: Attach the Pieces Together.
Use wood screws to attach the side pieces to the top and bottom of the cabinet frame. Make sure you pre-drill your holes to prevent any splitting. Otherwise, use wood glue to ensure a sturdy bond.
Step 4: Add the Back Panel.
Cut out a piece of plywood or composite board and attach it to the cabinet’s back panel using wood glue and wood screws. This will add stability and provide a place to hang your cabinet when completed. Additionally, you can add cabinet handles or other decorative accents to the back panel.
Step 5: Smooth Out Rough Edges With Sandpaper.
Once all pieces are attached together, use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges that may be present.
Don’t forget to sand the entire cabinet frame and back panel. If necessary, you can also use wood filler to fill any gaps or holes before sanding.
Step 6: Attach the Hinges and Hardware.
Now it’s time to attach hinges and any other hardware you might want, such as a door handle or locks. Pre-drill holes for the screws to ensure they fit properly. Try to center the hinges evenly when attaching them.
Step 7: Apply Paint or Stain.
It’s up to you how you want your finished arched cabinet to look – paint it in a bright color for an eye-catching contrast or stain it for a more subtle finish. Once your paint or stain is applied, let it dry completely before moving on to the next step. Be careful not to get paint or stain on the hinges or hardware.
Step 8: Install Door Handles and Knobs.
Install door handles and knobs as desired. Installing them before mounting the cabinet onto the wall will be easier. Also, make sure to drill pilot holes for the screws and use the appropriate size screws based on how thick your doors are.
Step 9: Hang the Cabinet.
Attach the necessary hardware to hang your cabinet on the wall, using appropriate fasteners for your type of wall material (drywall anchors or masonry screws). This is a critical step, as it will provide stability and support your cabinet needs. Moreover, be sure to use wall anchors if your cabinet is over 20 pounds.
Step 10: Enjoy!
Voila – your arched cabinet is now finished! You can enjoy its beauty and extra storage space in no time. Congratulations on how well you did – you should be proud of how it turned out.
By following the steps above, you can easily make an arched cabinet that looks great and adds extra storage space. With a few necessary supplies, basic tools, and this guide, you’ll be able to build your own beautiful arched cabinet in no time! So get started on making your very own today!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to measure the depth and width of the cabinet before cutting any wood. This will ensure that all pieces fit together correctly and save time and resources.
- If possible, use a jig saw to cut out the distinctive curved shape of an arched cabinet. This will help you achieve consistent results every time.
- When nailing or screwing the parts together, make sure to pre-drill holes in order to avoid splitting the wood.
- Use clamps to secure the sides together while attaching them with screws or nails for extra strength and stability.
- To give your finished product a more polished look, sand down any rough edges and apply a clear finish such as stain or varnish. This will not only make the cabinet look great but also help protect it from everyday wear and tear.
With these tips in mind, you can now confidently make an arched cabinet that will look great and provide extra storage space. Get started right away on making your very own masterpiece!
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Don’t try to make a curved cabinet without the right tools. You may think that you can eyeball it, but this isn’t always the case – especially when making an arched cabinet. Without the proper tools, you won’t be able to make the precise measurements and cuts needed for your project.
- Avoid using too much glue or nails in your project as they can cause issues with how the arch fits together in its finished form. Glue is okay to use at certain points but only if necessary and in moderation.
- If you are using wood veneer, be sure to use the correct adhesive. Avoid using contact cement for wood veneers as it can cause permanent discoloration and warping over time, making your arched cabinet look less than perfect.
- Do not attempt to sand or finish any part of the arched cabinet before assembly is complete, as this could create unsightly gaps between each piece. Make sure that you have all of your parts cut correctly before you start assembling them together, and then finish after everything has been put in place.
- Finally, avoid applying too much pressure when clamping pieces together during assembly – doing so could crack the wood or cause other defects in the finished product. Be gentle with how you secure each piece, and you’ll be pleased with how your arched cabinet turns out!
By following these tips, you will be able to create a beautiful and professional-looking arched cabinet.
Are Arched Cabinets in Style?
Yes, arched cabinets remain popular in both classic and contemporary designs. They’re an attractive way to store items, adding a touch of visual interest to any room or space.
Arched cabinets can be used in small areas as well as larger rooms. From traditional kitchens to modern living rooms, arched cabinets will always be stylish and eye-catching.
Additionally, arched cabinets are a great way to add some architectural detailing to your home. They can be used in many different ways, from providing storage and displaying items to being used as an accent piece in a room.
No matter how you choose to use them, arched cabinets will always be a beautiful addition to any space!
How Do You Bend Wood to Make an Arch?
Bending wood to create an arch can be tricky, but with the right tools and know-how, it’s certainly possible. Begin by cutting your wood into thin strips that are about 1/4 inch thick. Then, heat them in a steam box or in boiling water until they become pliable.
Carefully place each strip into the desired arch shape and secure them with clamps. Let the wood dry for at least 24 hours before removing the clamps, sanding, and finishing.
Another option is to use a jig saw or router to cut the arch into individual pieces that can then be fitted together and glued. Whichever method you choose, make sure to take your time and use caution when working with wood.
By following these steps, you can create a beautiful arched cabinet without too much difficulty! With some patience and practice, you’ll be able to make an aesthetically pleasing piece of furniture that is sure to impress.
With an arch-topped cabinet, you can make a big statement in any room of your home. This stunning piece of furniture is beautiful, elegant but also functional, and practical. You’ll be able to store your possessions behind the glass door or display them prominently on the shelves within. It’s really up to you.
The process of making such a cabinet may seem complex at first glance, but it doesn’t have to be so intimidating.
By following some simple steps and with the right tools, anyone can create this amazing piece in their very own space. Just remember to take your time and enjoy the process!
Now that you have all the information necessary to make an arch-topped cabinet, it’s time for you to get creative and start building something special—for yourself or as a gift for a loved one!
Hopefully, the article on how to make an arched cabinet has been of help in guiding you through this project. With a little patience and attention to detail, you can create a beautiful piece that will last for years to come. Good luck!