Picnics are a fantastic way to spend quality time with friends and family out in nature. Whether you’re having a romantic dinner for two or hosting an outdoor party, a picnic table is the perfect place to gather together. But don’t worry about splurging on store-bought furniture – making your own picnic table out of pallets is surprisingly easy!
In this blog post, I will run through all the steps required to make your very own DIY picnic table from upcycled wooden palettes. From choosing the right size and type of wood to painting and staining it for style and protection against weathering, we’ll cover how to make a picnic table out of pallets today.
So get ready – let’s start turning those old pallets into something special!
What Will You Need?
Before you start, it’s important to collect the right materials and tools. You’ll need the following:
- Wood pallets (we recommend using 6-8 full-sized pallets depending on what size table you are making)
- Power drill with a Phillips head bit and countersink bit
- Paint or wood stain of your choice
- Outdoor sealant
- Carpenters glue
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary supplies, it’s time to start building.
10 Easy Steps on How to Make a Picnic Table Out of Pallets
Step 1. Building The Table Top:
The table top is the most important part of making a picnic table out of pallets. You can use as many (or as few) pallets as you want to create your desired size and shape for the top. First, arrange the pallets on top of each other so that their boards run in two directions – this will add strength and durability. Securely screw them together with 2-3 screws per joint. Then, use sandpaper to smooth down any rough edges.
Step 2. Making the Table Legs:
Now it’s time to construct the legs for your picnic table out of pallets. Cut two full-sized pallets in half lengthwise, making four equal lengths. Then, use the power drill to attach these pieces together with a countersink bit and screws. You can also add additional sawed off pieces of wood at this stage if you want sturdier legs.
Step 3. Attaching the Legs to The Table Top:
Once you’ve constructed your tabletop and legs, it’s time to attach them together. First, use the carpenter’s glue to attach the legs to the tabletop. Then, drill screws through the pallet boards and into each of the four legs for extra security.
Step 4. Finishing Your Table:
Now you need to finish your picnic table so it looks great and is protected from the elements. To start, sand down any rough edges on your table and then paint or stain it with a wood sealant of your choice. When applying the sealant, make sure to cover all surfaces completely – including underneath and in between boards – for added protection against weathering.
Step 5. Add Table Cloths:
Once you’ve finished all the steps on how to make a picnic table out of pallets, all that’s left is adding some decorations (like pretty tablecloths or blankets) and enjoy your new picnic spot!
Step 6. Use Table Runner :
To make your picnic table look more elegant, you can add a table runner to the center of the top. Table runners come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can find one that fits perfectly with your outdoor décor. You can also use a table runner to protect your table from any spills or mess.
Step 7. Add Chairs:
No picnic table is complete without chairs! For an even better experience, try adding some comfortable pillows or cushions to your chairs. If you want a more rustic look, consider using old wooden chairs that have been stained and sealed for protection.
Step 8. Maintain Your Table:
To keep your picnic table looking and functioning like new for years to come, it’s important to maintain it regularly. Try giving the table a wipe down with warm soapy water after each use and sanding off any rough spots that may have developed over time. Don’t forget to reapply a sealant every few years to keep the wood protected from rain, sun, and other elements.
Step 9. Use Accecories:
To add a touch of style to your picnic table, add accessories like lanterns or outdoor decorations. This will help bring the whole look together and make your outdoor space feel even more inviting. Additionally, you can use the accessories to help add ambiance to your evening meals.
Step 10. Enjoy It!:
Once you’ve finished putting together your picnic table out of pallets, it’s time to gather your friends and family and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Remember, your picnic table can provide years of outdoor dining pleasure with the right care and maintenance. So go ahead and fire up that grill – it’s time to start creating some unforgettable memories!
Making a picnic table out of pallets is an easy and affordable way to create a beautiful outdoor seating space for you and your loved ones. With this guide, you’ll be able to create a stunning table in no time.
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Consider using a saw to cut the pallets if they are difficult to take apart. This will make it easier to use them in your construction project.
2. Try using a hammer and chisel to pry apart the pallets if you don’t want to use a saw. This will require some extra effort but can be effective in taking apart the pallets.
3. Use sandpaper to smooth out rough pallet surfaces before constructing your picnic table. This will help ensure that sharp edges are removed and make your picnic table more comfortable for sitting.
4. Measure twice. Cut once! Make sure you know the exact measurements of what you need before cutting into your pallets to avoid wasting valuable materials or time redoing sections of your project due to inaccurate measurements.
5. Pre-drill holes into the boards before screwing them together. This will help prevent the wood from splitting and ensure your picnic table is structurally sound.
By following these simple tips and tricks, you can easily create a beautiful and durable picnic table out of pallets in no time!
5 Things You Should Avoid
1. Avoid using nails to join the boards together. Nails can come loose over time and will not provide a strong bond between the pieces.
2. Don’t forget to wear protective equipment while working on your project, such as gloves, glasses, and a dust mask. This will help to protect you from splinters and sawdust.
3. Avoid pressure-treated wood if possible, when constructing your picnic table. This type of wood can contain chemicals that may be harmful when exposed to food or beverages you place on the table.
4. Do not use pallets made with particle board or other composite materials when making your picnic table, as they are not sturdy enough for outdoor furniture construction projects.
5. Don’t forget to seal your finished picnic table with a protective coat of wood sealer. This will help to protect it from the elements and keep it looking great for years to come!
Following these simple tips can help you create a beautiful picnic table that will be the envy of all your friends.
How Can You Design a Table?
1. Consider the size of your outdoor space and how many people will be using the picnic table when deciding on a design.
2. If you’re looking for something more unique, try building a “bench-style” picnic table with two benches that run along either side instead of individual chairs.
3. Make sure to use strong screws and bolts to join all the pieces together so as to ensure a sturdy finished product that won’t collapse under pressure from heavy usage.
4. Think about adding decorative touches like color or design elements to make your picnic table stand out!
5. Finally, take into account any additional features like cup holders or armrests that would make your picnic table even more comfortable and functional for the user.
By following these simple tips, you can create a unique and beautiful picnic table out of pallets that will be the envy of all your friends!
Congratulations, you now have your very own unique picnic table made from pallets! Don’t forget to have fun personalizing the look of the table – whether that’s through painting it or decorating it with your favorite seasonal accessories. Be sure to maintain the table with occasional paint touch ups, and use a waterproof sealer on it periodically to ensure its longevity.
Once finished, enjoy gathering family and friends around the project you created with your very own hands. Picnics are a timeless tradition beloved by all generations, so make sure you create plenty of memories while using this picnic table created from repurposed pallet lumber.
No matter what the future holds for your gathering space, you can be proud of having made such an incredible piece out of a greener material than traditional wood. Hopefully, the article on how to make a picnic table out of pallets was helpful. Good luck!