Have you ever wanted to add an extra touch of luxury and charm to your bedroom decor? Or perhaps want a richer and more designed look than a simple sheets-and-blankets combo can provide? A bed pottery barn is a perfect solution!
Made from high quality earthenware glazed in vibrant hues, bed pots add character, interest, color, and texture to any room. While purchasing vintage or antique Pots from local flea markets can be cost effective, making one yourself is easy with just the right tools—not to mention it gives you full control over its size and design.
In this guide, we’ll cover how to make a bed pottery barn and ideas for incorporating them into different looks. Get ready to sleep better knowing you did all of the work!
What are the Benefits of a Bed Pottery Barn?
A bed pottery barn is a great way to add visual impact, texture, and style. Here are some of the many benefits:
- Makes an ordinary bed look extra special and luxurious
- A good conversation starter
- An easy DIY project that can be done in a day or two
- A unique way to store blankets or pillows
- Can be used as a nice decorative element in any room
Overall, bed pots are an easy and cost effective addition to any bedroom décor.
What Will You Need?
Making your own bed pottery barn is easy with the right supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A medium to large sized pottery vase
- A rolled up towel
- Potting soil
- Plants of your choice (succulents work great)
- Gravel or small rocks
- A paintbrush (optional)
Once you have all the supplies you need, it’s time to start.
10 Easy Steps on How to Make a Bed Pottery Barn
Creating a bed pottery barn is quick and easy with the right tools. Here’s how to do it:
1. Form Clay Into Shape:
Using wet hands or other tools like a rolling pin or knife, form the clay into the shape of a bowl or rectangle, depending on how you want your bed pot to look. Don’t forget to leave a hole in the center for drainage! Because glazing can be tricky, we suggest leaving the clay unglazed for now.
2. Cut Out the Design:
Using scissors, carefully trim any excess clay around the edges of your design. Make sure to leave enough room for the potting soil and plants you’ll add later. You can also use a paintbrush to add any extra details like leaves or petals.
3. Paint Your Design:
Use a paintbrush and glaze of your choice to paint over your bed pottery barn with vibrant colors that suit your taste. Allow it to dry overnight before moving on to the next step. If you’re feeling extra creative, you can also use stencils and stamps to add patterns or designs.
4. Add Gravel or Rocks:
Add gravel or small rocks at the bottom of the pot for drainage purposes so that too much water doesn’t collect in one area when watering the plants. It will also help the plants stay in place when you’re transferring them to their new home.
5. Place Towel Inside:
Roll up a towel and place it inside the pot, on top of the gravel or rocks. This will provide another layer of protection for the plants, as the towel will soak up the moisture. You can get creative with folding and shaping the towel for different looks.
6. Add Soil:
Now it’s time to add potting soil. Fill the pot up, leaving enough room for your plants and other decorations (like small stones or shells). Be careful not to pack the soil in too tightly, as plants still need room to breathe.
7. Arrange Plants:
Carefully arrange your plants inside the bed pottery barn. Feel free to get creative with how you position them and how much of each type of plant you use. If you’re using succulents, make sure to leave some gaps between each one so they can spread out properly.
8. Place Decorations:
Add any decorations that you like—from colored rocks to miniature figurines—to give your bed pottery barn a unique look. If you’re using decorations that might leak out color or materials, be sure to place them in the center of the bed pot, so they don’t stain your plants. Add some moss or pebbles to give it an extra natural touch.
9. Water and Enjoy:
Once everything is in place, water your plants and enjoy your new creation! The bed pottery barn will add texture and style to any room and can be used as an eye-catching conversation starter or simply as a decorative element. Remember to water your plants regularly and wipe down the pot to keep them clean.
10. Place Your Bed Pottery Barn:
Finish things off by placing the bed pottery barn in its new home. To keep it looking great for years to come, ensure that you properly care for the plants by following instructions on how often they need to be watered, how much sunlight they require, etc. With these tips in mind, your bed pottery barn will last for many years!
By following these steps, you can easily create a beautiful bed pottery barn that will add style and personality to any room. Plus, with its easy maintenance, you’ll have a lovely garden accessory that will last for years to come. So get creative and start making your own bed pottery barn today!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you have the right bedding and accessories. Pottery Barn offers a wide variety of bedding and accessories, so be sure to choose pieces that complement your bedroom décor while still providing comfort.
- Consider how much storage space you need. If you’re looking for additional storage options, consider how much space is needed for clothing, extra pillows or blankets, and other items that you want to keep close at hand when making up the bed.
- Choose fabrics carefully. Pottery Barn carries a variety of different fabrics for their bedding, so make sure to select ones that are comfortable as well as durable enough to stand up against wear and tear over time.
- Invest in good quality pillows. Quality pillows will provide a better sleeping experience and last longer, so make sure to invest in good quality options that are comfortable for you and your family.
- Take the time to fluff your bedding regularly. Fluffing the bedding will help keep it looking fresh, reduce wrinkles, and create a cozy sleep environment. It’s also important to take the time to rotate your mattress every six months or so to ensure even wear over time.
By following these tips and tricks when making up your Pottery Barn bed, you can enjoy a comfortable and stylish bedroom for years to come!
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Don’t use too many layers. Using more than two sheets and a quilt can make the bed look messy and uncomfortable.
- Avoid bulky pillows, as they can take away from the overall look of your bed.
- Don’t go overboard with accessories. Stick to one or two decorative items, such as small throw pillows or a blanket at the end of the bed.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of good quality linens. Invest in high-quality sheets that are soft and comfortable for you to sleep on every night.
- Avoid overstuffing your mattress with blankets or other items that don’t belong there; too much bulk can cause an unappealing lumpy look.
By following these tips, you can create a beautiful bed that will be the centerpiece of your bedroom.
5 Different Style Options
1. Traditional: A traditional bed pottery barn features classic colors and patterns that are perfect for a timeless look.
2. Country: A country-style bed pottery barn incorporates rustic elements and cozy fabrics for a warm and inviting feel.
3. Contemporary: A contemporary bed pottery barn has clean lines and modern colors for a sleek and stylish look.
4. Boho: A boho-chic bed pottery barn is filled with colorful patterns and textured fabrics for a fun and funky look.
5. Eclectic: An eclectic bed pottery barn combines elements from multiple styles to create a unique and personal space.
No matter what your style, there’s a bed pottery barn that’s right for you! Following these tips and tricks can easily create a beautiful and inviting bedroom oasis.
All in all, making a bed pottery barn style is easy and rewarding. It adds a touch of sophisticated beauty to any space while helping to create an organized aesthetic. Though it might take a bit more time than your traditional method, it looks more polished and finished. When done properly, it can turn any bedroom into a beautiful sanctuary for relaxation and rest.
Don’t be afraid to get creative by adding personal touches like unique pillows or throws, making the bed stand out from the crowd. Just remember that balance is key in how to make a bed pottery barn — an excess of accessories can make your design look gaudy or cluttered.
With hard work, patience, and skillful styling, you can create an amazing pottery barn bed that you’ll be proud of for years to come.