Have you ever been in a living room where two distinct sofas were placed to create a dynamic atmosphere and interesting visual effect? If yes, then you know how effective the arrangement of two different sofa types can be when decorating your space. But if you haven’t tried this before, it can seem daunting – from matching colors to picking appropriate sofa styles that would bring balance into the area.
Bringing together two seemingly opposed pieces of furniture doesn’t have to be a hassle! In this blog post, we’ll look at some practical tips on how to arrange two different sofas in living room without compromising style or design harmony. We’ll also cover some ideas on ways to use them to further enhance or decorate other items in the room, such as frames, furniture pieces, and art pieces.
What Will You Need?
Before starting, here is a list of the items you will need to arrange for two sofas in your living room:
- Two Different Sofa Types: Ensure that they have complementary colors and styles.
- Rug: Choose a rug large enough to accommodate both sofas while still allowing for space between them.
- Coffee Table or Side Tables: Choose a piece of furniture to place between the two sofas.
- Wall Art or Frames: Use them to bring balance and symmetry to the room.
- Throw Pillows: Pick throw pillows that will compliment your chosen sofa colors and styles.
Once you have the items you need, it’s time to start arranging the sofas.
10 Easy Steps on How to Arrange Two Different Sofas in Living Room
Step 1. Find the Right Spot:
Choose an area that has enough space and is near a wall or furniture piece you can use as a focal point. If possible, create a seating area that is away from the walkway. It will allow for more comfortable and relaxed seating.
Step 2. Position Your Sofas:
Make sure the two sofas are not too close together, allowing for at least a foot of space in between them. This will help create a more spacious feel and give each sofa its own presence in the room. Additionally, ensure that the two sofas are facing each other.
Step 3. Place the Rug:
Position the rug in front of both sofas with plenty of space for people to move around easily, as well as give you extra design options (e.g., chairs or a coffee table) if needed. Don’t forget to leave at least a few inches of space between the rug and both sofas for a seamless look. You can also opt to use an area rug that has two distinct colors, such as a geometric pattern.
Step 4. Add Your Coffee Table or Side Tables:
Place your chosen piece of furniture between the two sofas, making sure it is an appropriate size and shape for the space. If you opt for a coffee table, try to choose one that has both light and dark tones to create a subtle contrast between the two sofas. Moreover, make sure that the coffee table is not too large, as it will distract from the look of both sofas.
Step 5. Hang Your Wall Art:
Hang your chosen art piece or frame on the wall opposite the sofas to draw attention away from them and create visual interest in the room. Use art pieces that unify the two sofas by having a similar color scheme. Be careful not to hang the art too low, as it might overshadow the sofas.
Step 6. Style Up with Throw Pillows:
Choose throw pillows that will balance both sofas while accentuating their colors and styles. Place two of each type along the back of one sofa and one of each type along the back of the other sofa. Alternatively, you can use all three pillows on just one side if this is how you would like your living room to look!
Step 7. Add Other Accessories:
Place any other accessories, such as lamps or bookshelves, near the sofas to bring more life and personality into the room. You can also use a few plants or flowers to soften up the space. There are endless possibilities!
Step 8. Create a Focal Point:
Create a focal point by placing a fireplace, television, or large artwork in front of both sofas. This will give them an overall cohesive look and make it feel like they were placed together intentionally. Try to be creative when deciding how to create a focal point, as it will make all the difference in how your living room looks and feels.
Step 9. Check for Balance:
Once you have finished arranging everything, take one step back and check how everything looks as a whole. Make sure that there is a balance between each piece of furniture and that nothing appears out of place or off-balanced. Because the two sofas are likely different in size and style, using accessories to create visual harmony is key.
Step 10. Enjoy Your New Living Room:
And lastly, sit back and enjoy your newly rearranged living room! With the right techniques, you can easily create a comfortable and inviting space for all to enjoy. If you need to make any changes, now is the time to do it. Have fun, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different designs and styles.
By following these steps, you can easily arrange two different sofas in your living room. Remember to keep an eye out for balance and visual harmony when selecting any accessories or furniture pieces to complete the look. With a little creativity and patience, you can create the perfect living room for you and your family. Enjoy!
5 Additional Tips and Tricks
- If you have two sofas of different sizes, try to arrange them so that there is a good balance in the room. For example, if one sofa is large and the other is small, then aim to position them symmetrically with the larger sofa on one side and the smaller sofa on the other.
- Consider how much space each sofa needs in order to sit comfortably in your living room. If they are both large, then make sure they are at least three feet apart from each other so that people can move around easily between them.
- Think about how you will use the furniture when deciding how to arrange it in your living room. For instance, if you plan to use one of the sofas for watching television, then position it facing the TV or entertainment center.
- If your sofas are of different colors or patterns, consider how you can use this to create an attractive contrast in the room. For example, if one is plain and one is patterned, try to split them up to balance the two designs.
- Use pieces such as side tables, lamps, and rugs to fill any gaps between the two sofas and bring more life into the space. This will also make it feel more inviting and comfortable for visitors.
These tips allow you to arrange two different sofas in your living room easily!
5 Things You Should Avoid
- Don’t try to fit two large sofas in a small living room. This will make the space look too cramped and crowded.
- Avoid arranging your sofas parallel to each other, as this can create an awkward layout with little visual interest.
- Don’t place two identical sofas facing each other unless there is enough space between them for conversation or activity.
- Refrain from creating a “floating” effect by leaving too much open space between the two pieces of furniture – it can give off a disconnected feeling.
- Steer clear of placing your two different sofas side by side; if you want them close together, opt for an angle that is more aesthetically pleasing.
Following these tips will help you create a cohesive and well-balanced look for your living room, no matter how different your sofas are! With the right layout, you can make the most of any space and show off your style.
Arranging two different sofas in your living room is a great way to personalize the space and express your style. Don’t be afraid of taking different shapes and colors to add dimension and interest; having two separate pieces creates a unique look for your special space.
As you craft your living area with different couches, keep in mind that furniture should fit aesthetically with the architecture, including windows and doorways. Place complementary armchairs and accessories nearby to bring out texture, color, size variations, and even shapes for more versatility throughout.
Following these guidelines will help bring out the best look for your living room and create an inviting environment where you can kick back, relax, and enjoy quality time with friends and family. Hopefully, the article on how to arrange two different sofas in living room has been helpful in getting you started. Best of luck creating the perfect living room for you and your family. Enjoy!